In this article you’ll learn exactly what PCOS is and how it can affect fertility, how to test for it, and treatments available.
What is PCOS?
It can be difficult for a person with PCOS to become pregnant due to the hormonal imbalances caused by the disorder, which disrupts the menstrual cycle. It also can prevent people from ovulating or to have irregular ovulation. The high androgen levels can also cause the follicles on ovaries containing eggs to prevent the eggs from maturing and/or releasing.
Symptoms of PCOS can include:
- Infertility (due to irregular or absent ovulation)
- Irregular Menstrual Cycles
- Polycystic Ovaries (small cysts known as follicles on the ovaries)
- Excessive Hair Growth
- Rapid Weight Gain
- Insulin Resistance (leading to higher levels of insulin in the bloodstream)
- Chronic Inflammation (affecting the lining of the uterus and the body as a whole)
- Pelvic Pain
How To Test For PCOS
Testing for PCOS typically includes a variety of methods. Your healthcare provider will determine the method(s) of testing that are most appropriate for you, which can include a combination of the below:
- Taking your medical history and conducting a symptom assessment (including any menstrual irregularities)
- Conducting a physical exam (including checking your body mass index)
- Pelvic ultrasound to detect ovarian cysts or follicles
- Blood tests to check your hormone levels (including LH, FSH, testosterone, and insulin)
- Blood glucose tests
- Thyroid function tests
The above innovative testing is important for confirming if you have PCOS and also enables your fertility specialist to determine where to apply specific treatments.
Treatment for PCOS
- Nutritional Therapy (oral or IV)
- Neural Therapy
- Coaching and Education
- Ongoing Support (to ensure you are correctly following the treatment plan)
- Weight loss programming when needed
PCOS Testing and Treatment with Road to Fertility
Road to Fertility specializes in functional medicine for fertility issues, including for those with PCOS. Dr. Marina Yuabova, DNP, APRN, BC, Naturopathic Doctor and her compassionate team treat infertility with natural treatments that work in harmony with your body. We approach infertility caused by PCOS by combining functional medicine with quantum energy and quantum diagnostics, which are turned into healing energies.